Tuesday, January 22, 2008

born and raised in compton



mr. obbs was actually born in rural-ass Maine. A small town of about 2,500 scrubs. One traffic light (blinks yellow one way, red the other-- it's pretty straight forward) one gas station. But anyways, one of my favorite artists out there has to be DJ Quik. Straight outta Compton with a voice similar to that of Eazy-E's, Quik has been makin albums since 1991.

He's worked with 2pac, Jay-Z, Xzibit, Eazy-E, Big Syke, Ludacris, T.I., Wyclef, and Dr. Dre... yet a majority of people have never heard of him! Friggin MTV culture... I stumbled upon him during a freak downloading adventure. I've always been a big Nate Dogg fan, and found this song called "Medley for a V" featuring Snoop Dogg and a whole gang of others. I loved it. Turned out it was produced by Quik and on his album titled "Rhythm-al-ism." Weird title perhaps, but an amazing album.

Quik really is a musician. He has some of the funkiest rap beats I've ever heard. He is also one of the only hiphop artists to include a full-length instrumental track on every album-- titled Quik's Groove. he was greatly influenced by Roger Troutman and his use of the talkbox. Troutman, if you were wondering, is the dude in 2pac's "California Love" who provides the chorus-- he also had a solid career fo his own, for the record. If I had my external hard drive I'd throw some more tracks up for your eardrums, but until that baby comes in the mail, you'll hafta just get by with these two tracks below.

The first one, "Born and Raised in Compton," was off his debut album back in '91, titled "Quik is the Name." After downloading some Quik tracks, I went to my local muzack store and was browsing the used section (cuz I'm a cheap bastid). Found the CD for 99 cents... brought it up to the counter to see if it was a single or if maybe the disc came in two pieces or something. Nope. I was like "gimme it." The cashier took it, read the tracklisting, and said "First track: 'Sweet Black Pussy.' This is definitely the sale of the day." Walked outa happy man.

DJ Quik - Born and Raised in Compton

The second track is off a mixtape Quik threw together before releasing his last solo album "Trauma." It's a dedication of sorts to the late DJ MixMaster Spade. It's a pretty funky track. Some nice horns. It'd fit nicely at a summer bbq or somethin. I hope you dig it.

DJ Quik -- Sure Shot

I'ma upload a bonus track cuz I just can't help myself. It's Playa Hamm from the Penthouse Playaz Clique on the mic. Quik laces a funky beat of course.

Playa Hamm - Sucka Free

Everything else is going alrite with mr. obbs. My boss e-bitched me out today (this has happened more than once now) for browsing the internet too often. Apparently now, if I am on hold (which can be for 5 minutes at a time) I am only allowed to stare at my screen. I used to browse other sites while waiting, but that is no longer acceptable. Good times. I got yelled at previously for browsing Help Wanted ads while at work. I will admit that was perhaps not the smartest thing I have done in my life. meh!

My life is more and more like Office Space every day. I'm serious.

No comments: