Sunday, February 24, 2008

selling my body

mr. obbs had himself a pretty busy last 24 hours!

Last nite Grenier and a buddy of his, Ben, came down for a nite in the city. Ben is in the Marines and currently has some time off before going back to Iraq. It was interesting listening to his stories and the things he's experienced. He's traveled to Okinawa, the Phillipines, Saudi Arabia, Iraq... some other places. I've had some experience with enlisted guys as there is a big Naval Air Station near my house in Maine, and I used to work with Navy guys when I delivered pies for Pizza Gut.
Ben just reaffirmed in my mind how most young soldiers have far too much money than they know what to do with. WHile at the Hut, the guys would talk about their motorcycle insurance payments and their new trucks and shit... all this stuff they'd be blowin their money on. They didn't need the job of delivering pizzas at all, they just did it to meet people in the area. Anyways, before we went out, Ben threw down for a 30. Then at Kenmore we went to an ATM and he handed the homeless bum squattin on the floor a $20. And gave him his cigarettes. Then we continued on to the bar and he bought a sausage sammich and tipped those guys $5... then once inside he bought a round of shots, and two rounds of beers. He'd buy me at least one beer later in the night as well. Real generous dude.
Anyways, I had to be up at 10 this morning cuz I was scheduled to aprticipate in an MRI test seeing how people's brains work. I was part of the control group, and all they did was take some pics of my brain, show me a bunch of pictures of random thigns like an ironing board and then follow it up with something like a rotting dog carcass. Noice!

Seriously, it was kinda cool gettin an MRI... not something I'd want to HAVE to do, but a good experience. Plus I'll get like $100 or something. And i got to see my brain! How many people can say that...?

Anyways, in other news, if I could model my life after one man... it's probably be Chris Isaak. The dude's had a solid musical career, hooked up with supermodels, been in movies, and also had his own TV show for a bit, which was actually decent. Also, in a totally heterosexual observation/compliment, he has a frickin sik 'do.

You've probably heard his classic track "Wicked Game" or at least seen the ridiculously beautiful video:





Anyways, I was practically raised on his classic album "Heart Shaped World." Isaak kinda has that rockabilly sound like Elvis or... i dunno I'm blanking on comparisons. Nothing too rock, but not too sappy either. I useta play that shit front to back on my parents old headphones and lie on my living room carpet. So, enjoy a track or two of that album and get an idea of some of the tunes I grew up on.

Chris Isaak -- Kings of the Highway
Chris Isaak -- Wrong to Love You


No comments: