Monday, December 29, 2008

no dumping...



Obbs gon weigh in on a very sensitive and often stinky subject here folks.

You see, my place of employment thought it would be wise to consolidate from 3 floors to 2 four or five months ago. I thought this would be ok at first.

Little did I realize that I would be crammed onto a floor of approximately 275 other people. I would say that 75% of these people are male.

You can use your imagination as to how this affects our 3 stall bathroom...

Needless to say, I often have to make 2 or even 3 flyby's before I am granted clearance to land and drop off cargo. It is absurd. And quite possibly a health hazard!!

And once I DO finally touch down, I am astonished at how often I am the first one of my two wingmen to exit the hangar-- even when I was the LAST one in!! Am I simply a speed-demon? Are they reading a novel over there? Was there some step that my parents forgot to teach me in my upbringing that is giving me an amazing advantage in the race to get back to work? I simply do not know.

*sigh*

In music I want you all to check out the producer of my favorite hip-hop act, CunninLynguists. He graciously has put out 5 albums worth of purely instrumental beats. They even include a few "interludes" which feature the *shhhh* undisclosed samples that he used in some of his beats. It is here that I am most interested, as you can see how he took certain elements of the original song and re-wove them into his art.

This isn't Puff aka Sean Combs aka P.Diddy using a Duran Duran lyric verbatim... this is a dude using a simple drum beat or rhythm and completely reworking it.

Check out what I mean.

He took this sample from some obscure cover of the Rolling Stones "Wild Horses" and reworked it to make a beat which uses the word "do" or "due" to complete to emcee's rhymes. Mr. SOS does a damn good job on the song as well, incorporating the sample into his story-- gotta give HIM props on that as well. He just had a baby, by the way. I know this by stalking him on Twitter.

Jus lissen.

sample: link
Mr. SOS (produced by Kno of CunninLynguists) -- Time

Also, just listen to this instrumental. If I were an emcee and asked to write rhyme over this I honestly would say "no way, that track should just stay the way it is." At least those are my thoughts. This is simply beautiful by itself.

Kno -- What'll You Do?

sleep well princes of maine, kings of new england.
-- obbs

No comments: