Thursday, July 3, 2008

independence




The 4th of July is always a great holiday. It's usually sunny... parades have people in floats throw candy at you... barbecues and open flames... oh, and sparklers (fireworks are illegal in Maine booo).

When I was younger we'd have large family reunions at my house. The relatives would all drive up from Massachusetts and we'd laugh and swim in my pool and eat boigahs and tater chips. They were habitually late, so sitting and waiting on my front steps for them to arrive and the good times to begin was one of the toughest things for a young child like myself.

Sometimes, years after, I'd hear certain songs on the radio and they reminded me of those summer family reunions. My parents probably had the songs playing as we got the house ready for all the guests, or maybe I heard them on the way to the grocery store to load up on meats, cheeses, dips, fruits, and various mayonnaise-based salads.

That's really all I have to say. I love how certain songs can take you back to certain times. Kenny Chesney wrote a damn good song about that -- "I Go Back." Oh yes.

I'm at work, so no mp3's. Just peep these vids.

Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life


This is great stuff right here. Another song would be "Finer Things." Those songs are amazing. So is "Higher Love." The story behind this song is real interesting too. read it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdZIZ7UPCs under the 'more info' link.

Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin Rain


I couldn't find any real music video... but this will do. Beautiful song. Bruce Hornsby is a talented mutha.

Tom Petty - Free Fallin'


Petty is amazing. One of the greatest American songwriters, and so consistent. As I've gotten older and heard this song more and more, it kind of has lost it's magic from when I'd hear the opening guitar chords as a child, but it's still a great song, co-written by Jeff Lynne. I saw Petty live with a bunch of friends, and he puts on an awesome show.

Some other ones I'd hear were "Walkin in Memphis" and "The End of the Innocence" by Don Henley (co-written by Bruce hornsby ooooomg!) and other various adult-contemporary 80s hits. Some Phil Collins I'm sure.

Anyways, thats about it. I hope everyone has a happy 4th of July.

-- mr. obbs

For some fun, here's something that a co-worker showed me and that i like a lot.

No comments: