Sunday, June 8, 2008

Testosterone.



So, on Thursday at work, I am minding my business. My eyes are slowly begining to melt out of my head from staring at my computer screen. I get an email saying that I've won a ticket to the Red Sox game that evening. Sikkk.

So I head over to Fenway after werk. I end up missing the first inning. I am under the bleachers as Manny blasts a 3 run homer. Gad dammit.

Anyways, I get to my seat. Begin to take in the sights and sounds.

Coco Crisp steps into the batter's box and quickly gets nailed by a pitch. He is not happy and charges the mound. After he got hit, the crowd let out an 'ooh.' But when he charged the mound, people flipped out. Everyone jumps to their feet. The teams spill out onto the field, even the guys in the bullpen make the sprint from right-field to get in on the action.

Now, I am no fighter. I have never thrown a punch at another person's face-- but fights are interesting.

I was in Worcester maybe a month ago for an alumni rowing event. About 6 of us had decided to pitch in on a hotel room for the night after the race, so we could go out and spend a nite in lovely Worcester-- seeing the locals and checking out the bar scene. So we hit up this place with a sik dancefloor. I kid a little... they had this stage a few feet above the dancefloor. Of course, i attempted to climb up and dance, yet was quickly ushered off by some bouncers.

Apparently only females were allowed to dance on this elevated platform. MEH!

So there was maybe one attractive girl at the whole bar. I tried dancing in her vicinity but nothing really happened. Later, she came up to me and, reading the crimson t shirt i had on, asked if I indeed went to Harvard. Now, lots of guys lie to girls... and i definitely could have, but I did not. Instead I said "No," thus killing the conversation dead in its tracks.

Later in the nite I go back and dance near her. Its 2, and the music stops. Then, for no reason whatsoever, the chick sprays her drink in the air-- a majority of it landing on me.

I am pretty pissed. One of the dudes she was with, rockin the black dress shirt, unbuttoned to show some chest, with a gold chain, confronts me.

"Yo man, you know how people get when they're drunk yanow."

I get drunk. I get drunk a lot. I do not throw beer on people. Not on purpose.

I stare at him.

"Yo man... we got a problem here?"
"Yeah we got a problem. She just threw her fuckin drink all over me."

Now, some of his dudes have decided to join in.

And behind me comes the boys I'm with. Being all crew guys, we have a couple guys at 6'5", one at 6'3", myself at 6'1" or so, and then the Kressticle at 5'11". grenier tells them to start walking. I am pretty heated and yell at them to go find their favorite tanning booth.

Anyways, I never really understood baseball fights. But it's all about standing up for yourself and your boys. Later in the game, a Red Sox pitcher nailed a Tampa bay batter. Nothing happened, but that stuff usually happens as a way for a pitcher to stick up for his teammate.

After the game, and after the Celtics game (sik game by the way. KG's tip-dunk at the end got me so amped) I was watching the news. Apparently Kevin Youkilis and Manny had to be separated by teammates in the dugout. Later i would find that Youk was mad that Manny hadn't gone out of the dugout to fight after Coco got nailed. He was pissed Manny wasn't goin to battle for his boyee.

One thing I will not get, and that really pisses me off, is the baseball celebratory circle-jump. After a walk off homer, or a world series or big win, the whole team gets into a big pile and just bobs up and down. Weeee! For some reaason that really annoys mr. obbs. At least they get a little more creative in football and soccer.



For some music, check out a solo track from Jeff Lynne. He was the mastermind behind Electric Light Orchestra, the Traveling Wilburys, and a lot of Tom Petty's classic 80's material.

This is from his solo album, Armchair Theatre, which is now out of print. I bought it off some dude on Portobello Road in London for like 2 pounds. Sik.

Jeff Lynne -- Blown Away

And check this vid of Jeff talking about his writing process for Livin Thing, a song I previously posted here on the blog. The dude's good at writin catchy songs.

-- obbs

No comments: