Monday, May 12, 2008

all aboard



mr. obbs saw an ad about 2 weeks or so ago in the daily Metro boston daily that caught his eye. It was for a new PBS series called "Carrier," and was set to chronicle the lives of the shipmates during their 6-month deployment during Operation Iraqi Freedom. My interest was piqued, to say the least.


I saw the first two hours of the 10-hour series, and mr. obbs was hooked! It doesn't glorify things at all. You are shown the seaman swabbin the decks, flying off the runway, gettin punished, having fun, bein tourists in Hong Kong, Perth, Kual a Lumpur and other exotic locales. You are shown the highs and the lows. How 6 months away can make people go nuts and put horrible strains on families. It is interesting.


Perhaps I am more interested due to the fact that I have been thinking of joining off and on for some time now. We shall see. But it looks like it'd be pretty frickin sweet to be a pilot or officer and get to visit some of the places they did. I would be sure to not have any family though. I couldn't put them through that.


I highly recommend you check out episode one. From the opening montage set to "All the Things I Have Done" by the Killers to the ending montage of the sailors in their whites paying their respects to those who passed during the attack on Pearl Harbor set to the overly dramatic, yet effective, song "World" by Five For Fighting, it'll suck you in. Check it out at PBS.com.


and that's all I have to say, about that.
For some muzack, I hear Coldplay is preppin a new album to be released in a month or so. I got a track here offa the new album, not sure if it's the new single or if its all over the radio because, well, I don't listen to the radio.


Irregahdless, it has a sik staccato string riff. And god knows I am a huge fan of the string riff. Check it out, along with some other tracks featuring some cool string riffs. Love em.


Coldplay -- Viva La Vida

Electric Light Orchestra -- Livin' Thing (this was played at my parents wedding)

Miri Ben-Ari ft. Anthony Hamilton and Algebra -- She Was Just a Friend (while not played at my parents wedding, this chick lays down sik violin riffs for the likes of Kanye and... maybe some others. She has a bunch of jazz albums, and did a whole hip-hop alb with peeps like 'ye, John Legend, and Scarface. It's good.)


Oh, and one more thing... AMERICAN GLADIATORS RETURNS TONITE!!!!



I just found this vlog from Chris Altice from "Carrier." He seemed like a really funny, laid-back kid who just made a mistake... as the director said it was like he was literally growing up right in front of the camera. They follow him through the whole series, and, well, it's really intersting to see him struggle and then what comes of his whole saga. You'll hafta watch the show to see how things turn out for him.





all for now my loyal fans. time to go watch some gladiators...

-- obbs

No comments: