Sunday, August 17, 2008

real talk


First off, this book above is essentially based on my younger years and how I remember my relatives and the 4th of July. I think I had a post where I touched on that. Great book. I'll let you borrow it sometime.

Anyways, I just got back from a weekend of spendin some QT with my cousins, aunts, and uncles. I'm real close with the cousins from my mom's side, so I love being with them, and now that we're a bit more spread out over the eastern seaboard, need to take advantage of the times when we are all in the same area.

Saturday I went to my uncle's in Holliston, MA and we had a huge lasagna feast. It was friggin amazing food and a great time watching to Olympics and catching up. One of my cousins had ridden his bike from California. Another cousin had just returned from 5 weeks in Argentina. So they had some stories to tell. I regaled the crowd with stories of how I spend my day in front of a computer. Somehow they didn't make quite the same effect as my cousins' experiences. This life.

Today I went to another aunt and uncle's place and just chilled all day with my two cousins. We played Scrabble, then went to a neighbor's house for more good eats and good conversation. The shish kabobs were friggin amazing. The neighbor's were cool. They'd gone to Dubai to visit one of their sons who works there-- so they had some interesting stories. That country is friggin crazy. Unlike anything you can imagine.

Have you heard about the structure they are planning that will constantly change shape and has built-in wind turbines...?!



But anyways. I realized I really miss just sitting around with other people and talking. Not in a loud bar. Not with a bunch of broskis about who the Patriots will be playing. But adults. You really don't get it much in the normal day-to-day routine, really. Have you ever sat down with a senior citizen who can tell a story? Storytelling is a lost art, I tell ya. Everything and everyone is getting increasingly detached. I watch the people around me on the way to work. Earbuds stuck in their ears. Completely shut off from the world. Boring. I saw this cute girl on the T one day, but there's no way in hell i'm even gonna say hi to them if they have their headphones in. Got dammit.

I'm goin home next weekend to see the parents briefly and to go whitewater rafting with my company. Dope. So i'll catch up with the 'rental unit and perhaps have some more intellectually stimulating convos around some foods and such... should be good.

Anywhoo, for some music, check out Pink Floyd's take on verbal communication.

Pink Floyd -- Keep Talking
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals... then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination..."

And for some hilarity, check out R. Kelly's absurd take on givin it to a psycho bitch over the phone for hasslin' her man in "Real Talk."



enjoy the week.

-- obbs

No comments: